Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Big poops

Ok, I admit that I was really worried about poop today, or the lack thereof. How can so much go in and not come out? Let's just say that I need not have been concerned. It all worked out in the end.... so to speak.

We're getting snatches of sleep. You always hear about the sleep deprevation that comes with newborns, but I would never have thought that it was possible to go so long with just a nap or so. Simple math is currently impossible, except where it's required to measure formula and feeding times... even then it's a challenge. I went to the store today, and was quite concerned for the other motorists as I'm sure I was the mental equavalent of someone who had tucked away a quart of paint thinner.

I wonder if the parents of other children who are not the smartest, strongest and most handsome are jealous? Shhhhh... we'll just keep it a secret.

I adore my little prince.

Today Kevin had a bath in the evening time, and was very good and content all last night and today. Well, except when hungry and trying to latch... but that's understandable. Tammy is doing so very well with the breastfeeding. You'd think this would be easy and normal (I assume cavepeople didn't have many lactation consultants) but it requires lots of learning both for mommy and baby. It does not help that we basically have an entire generation that don't know much about breastfeeding, and were never able to see their moms or siblings doing it. We're fortunate that he's a VERY good sucker. I think our progress is exceptional.

Kevin is very alert, and has been holding his own head since day two basically. He's very strong, and holds himself by his elbows and knees when on Mommy's or Daddys tummy and shoulder. He has deep blue eyes (that can easily change in future), and loves to stare at you when feeding, or contentedly alert. He's able to follow his rattle with his head when he's in the crib or changing table. I'm amazed.

I'm amazed also at both the helplessness and deep instinct that a newborn shows. He's got lots of buttons! Brushing his cheek and around the top of the ear makes him root and suck. Pressing the palm of his hand also helps him suck when he starts to forget what he was doing. The bottoms of his feet make him wakeup if he's falling asleep when feeding. The roof of his mouth makes him start to suck. Hmmm, well... basically he has buttons that make him eat... and for now, that's good enough.

His first sneeze was startling for us both... so is the startle reflex itself that he occasionally does for reasons I can't fathom (often if dreaming). He hiccups alot.

New photos are available as always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home